At a time when we are under extraordinary duress, “putting on a happy face” seems almost suspicious, and yet, social media keeps churning out perky family BBQ snapshots and “think positive” pep talks. Subscribing to the “positive psychology” gospel these days requires us to reject our so-called “negative emotions” when they might naturally arise. In fact, we force faux happiness so much in our culture that it breeds unhappiness and curated contentment. In this sermon, we’ll explore the upside of the shadow side and how these darker emotions can help us navigate over life’s sometimes bumpy terrain.
Rev. Robin Preaching with Worship Associate Pia Driessen-Knittle and music from Roomie Wood and Rebecca Prizznick.
Tune in at our YouTube Channel: “Beacon UUC”
- Follow along: Lyrics and Unison readings will be visible in the service recording.
- Connect: Join the Virtual Social hour on Sundays at 11 AM. Zoom links to the meeting are within our weekly E-Newsletter and the Beacon GoogleGroup.
- Learn: Complete On-Demand, At-Home Adult and Children Religious Exploration program materials are available here:
- Adult RE
- Children’s RE Summer 2020 Program: “Wonder World: Nature, Science and the Interdependent Web”
- Donate: If you enjoyed the service, please consider donating here