LUNCH WITH THE TRANSCENDENTALISTS….and Rev. Robin
“We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds…A nation of men (sic) will for the first time exist, because each believes himself inspired by the Divine Soul which also inspires all men.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wednesdays, 12 noon – 1:00 p.m. (come early and leave late, as desired)
(April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20)
Zoom meeting information contained within our weekly E-Newsletter.
May 13 and 20: Margaret Fuller: The Spirit Leads
For both of these sessions, we will focus on Margaret Fuller’s legacy as an intellectual, a transcendentalist, and as a social reformer (especially as a champion of women and Native Americans). She was a woman ahead of her time (Emerson said she was the best conversationalist he knew (and “too bad she was a woman”…not because he felt this way, but because society did).
Resources and Handouts:
- Comprehensive website about Margaret Fuller with numerous links to explore http://margaretfuller.org/
- Emerson, Thoreau, and Fuller? The Lady Lost in Transcendentalism – Excellent YouTube video (10 minutes) https://youtu.be/bCRJsACpZaw
- Margaret Fuller’s Spiritual Legacy: http://margaretfuller.org/resources/general-articles/109-margaret-fullers-spiritual-legacy
- What Margaret Fuller Did for Feminism: http://margaretfuller.org/news/101-what-margaret-fuller-did-for-feminism
- The Spirit Leads: Margaret Fuller in her own Words, by Barry Andrews: “The New Manifestation” chapter (quotes from Women In the Nineteenth Century, Summer on the Lakes and other writings)
Adult Faith Development Resources
- www.communitynowuu.org – dozens of links for UU virtual meet-ups, programs and worship services
- Mandalas – Here is a mandala meditation and a coloring book to use at home.Download, print and color. Bring your favorites to church when we get back together and we will display them. Or post them on the FB page!
Meditation Guide Coloring Book
- Stress Busters in Challenging Times – From Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, MA
- www.Dailyom.com – Hundreds of personal and spiritual growth courses to attend online with a sliding scale of $15 and up.
- Daily Quarantine Questions for mental and physical health
- Who am I checking in with or connecting with today?
- What expectations of “normal” am I letting go of today?
- How am I getting outside today?
- How am I moving my body today?
- How am I expressing my creativity today?
- What type of self-care am I practicing today?
- What am I grateful for today?