LUNCH WITH THE TRANSCENDENTALISTS….and Rev. Robin
“We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds…A nation of men (sic) will for the first time exist, because each believes himself inspired by the Divine Soul which also inspires all men.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wednesdays, 12 noon – 1:00 p.m. (come early and leave late, as desired)
(April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20)
Zoom meeting information contained within our weekly E-Newsletter.
May 6: Emerson, part 2
Emerson delivered the “Divinity School Address” to the senior class of Harvard Divinity School on July 15, 1838. In his address, Emerson describes the moral or religious “sentiment,” and how the formalism of organized (or, “historical” in his terminology) Christianity has obscured that sentiment. It caused quite an uproar!
Resources and Handouts for Emerson Discussions:
- For May 6th, we will read and discuss Emerson’s famous Divinity School Address
- For May 6th, review the chapter from “Emerson as Spiritual Guide” about the Address with reflective questions (pdf)
- Very good YouTube overview about Emerson :
- Fairly concise biography:
- Wonderful website: https://emersoncentral.com/
- Complete collection of Emerson texts!https://emersoncentral.com/texts/
Adult Faith Development Resources
- www.communitynowuu.org – dozens of links for UU virtual meet-ups, programs and worship services
- Mandalas – Here is a mandala meditation and a coloring book to use at home.Download, print and color. Bring your favorites to church when we get back together and we will display them. Or post them on the FB page!
Meditation Guide Coloring Book
- Stress Busters in Challenging Times – From Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, MA
- www.Dailyom.com – Hundreds of personal and spiritual growth courses to attend online with a sliding scale of $15 and up.
- Daily Quarantine Questions for mental and physical health
- Who am I checking in with or connecting with today?
- What expectations of “normal” am I letting go of today?
- How am I getting outside today?
- How am I moving my body today?
- How am I expressing my creativity today?
- What type of self-care am I practicing today?
- What am I grateful for today?