LUNCH WITH THE TRANSCENDENTALISTS….and Rev. Robin
“We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds…A nation of men (sic) will for the first time exist, because each believes himself inspired by the Divine Soul which also inspires all men.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wednesdays, 12 noon – 1:15 p.m. (come early and leave late, as desired)
(April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20)
Zoom meeting information contained within our weekly E-Newsletter.
April 29 and May 6: Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson, one of the most influential writers and poets of his time, was born in Boston on May 25, 1803, and began his profession after graduating from the Harvard Divinity School as a Unitarian minister on March 11, 1829. He is known as one of the founders of the Transcendentalist movement and a reformer within 19th century American religion.
Resources and Handouts for Emerson Discussions:
- Very good YouTube overview about Emerson :
- Fairly concise biography:
- Wonderful website: https://emersoncentral.com/
- Complete collection of Emerson texts!https://emersoncentral.com/texts/
Week One discussion on April 29, 12-1:00 pm:
In Self-Reliance, philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson argues that polite society has an adverse effect on one’s personal growth. Self-sufficiency, he writes gives one the freedom to discover one’s true self and attain true independence.
Emerson essay on Self Reliance (pdf)
Barry Andrews on Self Reliance with reflective questions from Emerson as Spiritual Guide (pdf)
Adult Faith Development Resources
- www.communitynowuu.org – dozens of links for UU virtual meet-ups, programs and worship services
- Mandalas – Here is a mandala meditation and a coloring book to use at home.Download, print and color. Bring your favorites to church when we get back together and we will display them. Or post them on the FB page!
Meditation Guide Coloring Book
- Stress Busters in Challenging Times – From Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, MA
- www.Dailyom.com – Hundreds of personal and spiritual growth courses to attend online with a sliding scale of $15 and up.
- Daily Quarantine Questions for mental and physical health
- Who am I checking in with or connecting with today?
- What expectations of “normal” am I letting go of today?
- How am I getting outside today?
- How am I moving my body today?
- How am I expressing my creativity today?
- What type of self-care am I practicing today?
- What am I grateful for today?