LUNCH WITH THE TRANSCENDENTALISTS….and Rev. Robin
“We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds…A nation of men (sic) will for the first time exist, because each believes himself inspired by the Divine Soul which also inspires all men.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Let’s have lunch with the Transcendentalists! This series of brown bag virtual ZOOM gatherings with Rev Robin will offer the opportunity to get acquainted with the writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and Margaret Fuller, through the Skinner House “Spiritual Guides” series by Rev. Barry Andrews. Handouts of all readings and reflective questions will be provided in advance in the weekly e-news, beginning April 8. Attend any or all; drop ins welcome.
Wednesdays, 12 noon – 1:15 p.m. (come early and leave late, as desired)
(April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20)
Zoom meeting information contained within our weekly E-Newsletter.
April 22: Thoreau on Civil Disobedience
Henry David Thoreau not only wrote Walden; he is also responsible for a small pamphlet titled Civil Disobedience, published in 1849, which recommends that – when a US president is taking a wrong turn – good citizens have a duty to protest. Civil Disobedience, has influenced Martin Luther King, Mohandas Gandhi and other noted social reformers. His ideas are very relevant today in our current political arena.
Resources and Handouts for April 22:
- Thoreau and Civil Disobedience Video:
- Brief overview:
- Thoreau on Civil Disobedience (pdf summary)
- What is Transcendentalism: (pdf)
- Henry David Thoreau at Walden
- There are many videos on Youtube and even a download of the entire audio book of Walden.
- Bob Vila’s tour of Walden: https://youtu.be/9dzl6eyMf0o
- Thoreau’s reflection on Walden: https://youtu.be/b0Quw_RPB0U
- Great Books: Walden (44 minutes) https://youtu.be/MCXkhd6mnPI (a popular dramatized series from the 1990s)
- Chapter on “Solitude and Silence” from Barry Andrews’ Thoreau as Spiritual Guide (with discussion questions) – please read this before our session (pdf)
Adult Faith Development Resources
- www.communitynowuu.org – dozens of links for UU virtual meet-ups, programs and worship services
- Mandalas – Here is a mandala meditation and a coloring book to use at home.Download, print and color. Bring your favorites to church when we get back together and we will display them. Or post them on the FB page!
Meditation Guide Coloring Book
- Stress Busters in Challenging Times – From Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, MA
- www.Dailyom.com – Hundreds of personal and spiritual growth courses to attend online with a sliding scale of $15 and up.
- Daily Quarantine Questions for mental and physical health
- Who am I checking in with or connecting with today?
- What expectations of “normal” am I letting go of today?
- How am I getting outside today?
- How am I moving my body today?
- How am I expressing my creativity today?
- What type of self-care am I practicing today?
- What am I grateful for today?