Religious Exploration for Youth
Beacon At Home
“Horton Hears A UU: Life Lessons from Dr. Seuss”
March 22, 2020 – “Gertrude McFuzz”
First things first: Consider these questions: Did you ever want something that turned out to be a lot of trouble once you got it? Can you remember a time when you wanted more than you needed?
Watch the video on youtube:
- Hear the story read with full illustrations: https://youtu.be/rMR8qEZl5gk
- Watch this Gertrude McFuzz clip from the musical “Seussical” https://youtu.be/jVweoiqv3Xo
- Talk about the story and explore these themes: How could things have been better if Gertrude had not been so greedy? Was she really prettier with all of those feathers? What does it mean to love and accept yourself?
- Discuss our first principle – The inherent worth and dignity of all people (everyone is beautiful in their own way) And our second principle – Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
- Use paper plates, construction paper, feathers, playdough or other materials to make a “Gertrude”
For more great activities at home:
Chalice coloring book pages!
We found an amazing collection of UU Chalice coloring pages! ! Download and print and color one each week.
Please bring your favorites to church when we get back together in person! What a collection that will be!
Chalice coloring book page of the week: Zentangle Chalice