Protest against unworthy images of God is a deeply religious act. — Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, President, Starr King School for the Ministry
Story: “The Binding of Isaac“. In the story of the binding of Isaac, God instructs Abraham to offer his beloved son as a burnt offering. The meaning and wisdom of this disturbing text has been debated for many centuries. Is this a test of faith for Abraham, in which Abraham demonstrates obedience even to the point of sacrificing his own son? Is this a story that shows that God disapproves of child sacrifice, a practice by many groups in Abraham’s time? Is this a story which depicts God as engaging in a monstrous test, a test which renders such a God unworthy of worship? Is this a story that critiques patriarchal culture, where women and children were possessions of their husbands and fathers? Why was such a story preserved in the scriptural tradition? Unlike some other disturbing stories in the Hebrew scriptures, why does this one remain current and well-known in the popular religious culture of three religious traditions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam?
Background info: The Binding of Isaac Background Information is extremely helpful!! To get your kids thinking about this topic, you may want to ask:
- Where will Abraham be when he receives the command from God?
- Where will Isaac be?
- Where will the mountain be? They had to travel to get there.
- Who will be Abraham?
- Who will be Isaac? Who will be the two boys who accompany Abraham and Isaac on their journey?
- Who will be God? And who will be the angel of God?
- Where will the altar be where Isaac is bound to be sacrificed? Where will the ram be caught?
The details about Sunday morning:
Babies – 4 year olds
- chalice lighting and joys & concerns
- play inside in our very popular wooden kitchen.
- play outside.
- Volunteers pretty please! firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindergarten- grade 8
- ACTIVITY 3 : Why?
What you can do this week at home:
If you are unable to join us, feel free to use these links and resources to create a faith formation opportunity in your own home this week.
- Here is an idea how your family can raise awareness and advocate for children
- Here is a suggestion of a picture book that relates to this topic
I hope to see your family on Sunday! Let me know if I can be supportive to you in any other way! I am here for you.
All my best with blessings,